The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is a public international organization (PIO) governed by an international board of directors with representation from developed and developing nations. The non-profit center focuses on increasing and sustaining food and agricultural productivity in developing countries through the development and transfer of effective and environmentally sound crop nutrient technology and agribusiness expertise.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The accountant will be responsible for managing the overall finance operations with a focus on budget tracking, expenditure monitoring, reporting, and cash flow management.
The accountant will be working in a national position and reporting to the National Admin and Finance Officer (NAFO). He will:
- Prepare monthly financial management reports and provide information for decision-making.
- Process all financial transactions in NetSuite to enable accurate financial reporting and monitoring.
- Review all financial commitments and payment requests to ensure compliance with IFDC policies and procedures.
- Monitor the implementation of the budget in all project activities.
- Ensure monthly fund request is prepared in a timely manner and submitted.
- Monitor/review the expenses monthly and report to the COP.
- Oversee the preparation (budget and logistics) of local/regional seminars, workshops, and retreats.
- Handle all tasks in accordance with the IFDC procedures manual and guidance notes.
- Act as the backup for Petty cash administration and ensure that petty cash logs are up to date.
- Handle all Advances accounts on a day-to-day basis including reconciliation and provide real-time information to the National Admin & Finance Officer for his Review functions.
- Verify and handle travel requests and travel expenses.
- Follow up on timely expense report submission by travelers.
- Update and distribute individual cash advance statements to the staff at the beginning of every month.
- Ensure that timesheets of staff are completed on time.
- Keep a comprehensive database of all advanced account holders in IFDC and make such available upon request.
- Prepare bi-monthly advanced aging reports and analyses.
- Check and ensure that all vouchers are uploaded in the Skydoc,
- Maintaining accurate financial records
- Performing audits and resolving discrepancies.
- Preparation, declaration, and submission of employees’ Social Security benefits, Tax on Salary, and filing of returns for WHT.
- Perform any other duties deemed necessary and requested by the supervisor.
- The accountant will be based in Accra (Ghana) and should be available to travel intermittently within and outside Ghana when called upon.
- A minimum of master’s degree in accounting or finance
- 5 years of work experience, preferably with an International Organization.
- Proven skills in computer use (NetSuite / MS Office).
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to learn and improve quickly.
- Strong analytical, communication, and computer skills.
- Understanding of accounting and financial processes.
- Ethical behavior.
- Paying attention to detail.