The World at Abt
Solving the world’s most pressing issues and improving the quality of life for people worldwide is what we do every day at Abt Associates. Creating a more equitable world is no small task, but we are driven by big challenges.
We are a team of 3,000+ people in over 50 countries working in unison and focused on the bigger picture. Only by sharing our commitment, energy, and innovation do we affect change and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We welcome diverse ideas, backgrounds, and viewpoints – joining Abt means access to exceptional thinkers at the top of their game.
To thrive at Abt is to embrace flexibility and collaboration. Our open culture allows you to balance your work and personal life as needed to optimize personal well-being. Creating a more equitable world starts from within – we look after people around the world, and we’ll do the same for you.
Ready to embrace rewarding and meaningful work? Now’s your chance.
Abt Associates seeks a Public Financial Management (PFM) lead for the anticipated USAID/Ghana Fiscal Accountability Strengthening Activity (the Activity). The purpose of the five-year Activity is to improve accountability within the Government of Ghana’s public financial management systems to achieve three objectives: (i) enhanced external audit and parliamentary scrutiny; (ii) improved accounting, financial reporting, and compliance to fiscal policy; and (iii) strengthened control, predictability, and transparency in budget execution.
As the PFM lead, you will be responsible for all public financial management related activities, ensure coordination with other FASA activities and supervise other PFM personnel.
Work is expected to begin in late 2023. The position is contingent on the contract being awarded to Abt Associates. As the PFM lead, you will be based in Ghana and will report to the project Chief of Party.
- Provide strategic technical and managerial leadership for activities designed to improve accounting, financial reporting and compliance to Ghana’s fiscal policy.
- Lead the support to the Government of Ghana (GoG) in the roll out and full operationalization of the Ghana Integrated Financial Management Information System (GIFMIS) at the district-level.
- Ensure the efficient use of GIFMIS from the national down to district level.
- Lead the support to build the capacity of GoG on International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and to support its application and compliance.
- Oversee support to monitor the use of GoG budget classification system.
- Lead activities that support local governments to better manage their revenue.
- Ensure alignment, and identify opportunities for coordination, with other FASA objectives, other USAID implementing partners, and other externally funded PFM initiatives.
What We Value
- Advanced degree (master’s or PhD) in accounting, public finance, public administration or other related field.
- More than 10 years of relevant professional experience implementing activities to strengthen public financial management systems, financial data quality, and fiscal accountability and transparency at national and sub-national levels.
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience successfully strengthening and rolling out integrated financial management information systems.
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience in supporting sub-national local government in resource mobilization, planning and budgeting.
- Experience working with government officials, the private sector, and civil society organizations in public financial management and accountability.
- Experience in Ghana preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English is required.
What We Offer
We foster an environment where you can Thrive Your Way. Our innovative total rewards programs are designed to help balance your work and personal life. The approach toward your wellbeing centers around comprehensive benefits and professional development.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Candidates from Ghana are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.