Job Purpose and Organizational Context
UN-Habitat contributes to the achievement of Ghana’s Coordinated Programme of Economic and Social Development Policies (2017-2024) and the Ghana Beyond Aid Charter towards Ghana@100 (2057).
An agile UN-Habitat in Ghana that is working and co-creating with partners and communities to accelerate sustainable urban development seeks to engage the services of a Programme Associate.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the UN-Habitat Head of Office, the Programme Associate provides support to the UN-Habitat Office in Ghana with primary focus on the Smart SDG Cities Programme, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Programme Associate promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach, values and actions consistent with rules and regulations approach in UN-Habitat.
The Programme Associate performs standard administrative and programmatic functions in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the UN-Habitat Office in Ghana, the Regional Office for Africa and the HQs staff from the Management Advisory and Compliance Services (MACS) Division to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Ensures implementation of country programme activities, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of operational processes and records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Input to the UN-Habitat Office in Ghana business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in operations management in consultation with the Programme Management Officer and the Programme Management Assistant in the Regional Office for Africa.
- Act as Ghana IPMR focal point.
2) Ensures provision of support to management of ongoing project activities, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides inputs in the elaboration of work plans linked to operational budgets.
- Assists in arranging logistics, preparing agenda and coordinating with related stakeholders for organising workshops as required.
- Assists in the coordinating of planned events of the country programme activities.
- Provides information on request and payment to UNDP for required goods and services.
- Assists in minutes taking for programme/projects and drafting research reports as required.
- Assists in drafting inputs into programme/project reports, especially in relation to administration and finance issues.
3) Ensures effective administrative and logistical services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contacts with visitors and project personnel, arrangement of appointments and meetings, and taking minutes when required.
- Prepares and organizes logistics for missions, as required, including arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, UN identity cards and other documents.
- Maintains records/documents/files related to projects and programmes in a user-friendly manner.
- Is responsible for assigned correspondence and other administrative tasks including creating E-requisitions.
- Provides administrative support to meetings, conferences, workshops and/or retreats.
- Supervises vehicle transportation related logistics and ensures regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
- Assists in proper control of supporting documents for payments and financial reports.
- Checks related forms delivered by UN-Habitat Implementing Partners for completion.
- Ensures proper receipt of goods and services.
- Supports preparation of routine correspondence, letters, memorandums and reports to partners.
- Ensures extracting, inputting, copying and filing data from various sources, as required.
- Maintains a proper filing system for financial records ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Assists in organising, executing and coordinating logistical requirements by drawing up an event timeline, programme schedule and checklist for successful holding of events.
- Acts as the custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
- Follows up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to the UN-Habitat senior management in Ghana.
- Assists in budget preparation ad programming; organizes required information for audits.
4) Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results
- Acts as a backup to the Asset Focal point in the maintenance of records on assets management.
- Keeps files and records relevant to office maintenance.
- Provides support to maintenance of common premises and common services.
5) Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing within UN-Habitat office in Ghana on issues related to administration and finance, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participates in the trainings for the operations/projects staff.
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice on admin and finance issues.
- Participates in UN operations Management Team Meetings and other UN group meetings as required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in operations/administration.
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Minimum of 3 years (Bachelor’s Degree) or 6 years (Secondary School) of relevant operations and/or administrative experience is required at the national or international level.
- Administrative support to project budget preparations and expenditure tracking.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc)
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.