Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
- To provide support to the tax lead in achieving departmental goals and implementing regional tax strategy including statutory tax compliance.
- To prepare income tax computations for reporting and statutory tax filing purposes and estimate cash taxes for forecasting and budgeting purposes.
- To support the Senior Tax Manager with tax planning and risk management, by conducting tax research, coordinating the execution of statutory tax audits, executing income tax controls, and providing internal tax advice on transactions.
Main Responsibility Areas:
Tax Budgeting / Forecasting
- Set up system for tax budgeting and forecasting process.
- Roll forward prior year actuals into tax model (i.e. set up current year model).
- Review formulas in tax model for accuracy and effectiveness.
- Perform Life of Mine tax calculations:
- compare to other plans.
- investigate and explain variance.
- recalculate budget for quarterly forecast.
- Contribute to compiling the annual budget and revised forecasts.
- Submit accurate numbers for approval and on a timely basis.
- Investigate deviations from budget during the quarterly forecasting processes.
Tax Accounting and Reporting
- Manage computation templates.
- Calculate taxes (current and deferred taxes) and perform tax rate reconciliations.
- Propose monthly journals for posting.
- Report on variance investigations and explanations.
- Review account reconciliations.
- Prepare quarterly reports for Corporate consolidation purposes.
- Report according to US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Supervise recording of approved journals and participation in tax accounting calls.
Statutory Tax Compliance
- Retrieve data from SAP and BPC.
- Obtain schedules from stakeholders and incorporate same in tax computations.
- Compute taxes.
- Complete appropriate tax returns (Annual Corporate Income Tax Returns, Quarterly Self-Assessment and Transfer Pricing Returns for all entities.
- Develop and maintain electronic copies of tax returns.
- Guarantee timely payments (if any).
- Report on financial results for the applicable period.
- File accurate tax returns and retain copies on file.
- Verify tax compliance and avoid penalties.
Expatriate Employment Income Tax Filing
- Supervise the review of the monthly PAYE tax computations for Ghana.
- Obtain authorisation for payments.
- Work with payroll to record monthly costs.
- Supervise data collection relating to benefits paid outside payroll (utilities, leave etc.).
- Report in service provider’s share-point portal.
- Support Ghana and home country filing.
- Supervise the application process for tax clearance certificates (TCCs) and ensure same is issued in a timely manner.
- Follow up and resolve GRA queries.
- Coordinate tax and external statutory audits.
- Respond to information requests and provide explanations.
- Reconcile GRA position to Newmont position.
- Review audit reports and make input to address issues raised.
- Maintain a reliable tax filing system, while consulting with other departments to coordinate information for tax audits.
- Generate continuous improvement initiatives and advise Senior Tax Manager from time to time.
- Plan, co-ordinate and execute major tax projects selected by the Tax team annually.
- Track Project key performance indicators and report to Senior Tax Manager periodically.
- Proactively manage potential Project risks and ensure timely completion.
Training & Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Taxation or Commerce.
- Part / full qualification in professional accounting.
- Part / full qualification in professional taxation.
- Appreciable level of technical knowledge in taxation and accounting.
- Working knowledge of SAP / BPC or any accounting / reporting software.
- Minimum of 7 years’ combined work experience in Accounting,
- Taxation experience, of which 2 years should be in a supervisory capacity.
- Big 4 or Ghana Revenue Authority experience is an added advantage.
- Budgeting and forecasting.
- Analytical and problem solving.
- Advanced verbal and written communication.
- Computer skills.
- Decision making.
- Effective and Professional Leader.
- Ethical and Respectful.
- Assertive and Influential.
- Customer focused, Trustworthy and Reliable.
- Confident, Independent and Results driven.
- Safety conscious, Team player, Well Organized and Accurate.
- Flexible, Willing to learn continually and Work well under pressure.
- Extended and unpredictable working hours is the norm.