Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
- Are you looking for an opportunity where you will be responsible for generating exploration targets for follow up within the Ahafo and Akyem mining and exploration tenure and other locations in Ghana?
- Are you a Senior Geologist who can support the Exploration Director in the management of all exploration issues (current and future exploration projects)?
- Do you have advanced abilities in mapping, sampling drill planning, drilling and 3D geologic interpretation, 3D modelling and economic evaluation to arrive at decision points in appropriate time frames and with appropriate expenditures?
- We are looking for a Senior Geologist with high level problem solving capabilities and considerable creativity, technical judgment, tact and initiative.
In This Role You Will:
- Interpret available geological data (geophysics, geochemistry, drilled holes etc.) with the view to generating exploration targets and planning follow up drilling.
- Inform Mine Planning, Geo-technical, Exploration and Processing on reserve modeling kick offs and variables to model and reconciliations.
- Oversee that all work carried out adheres to Health and Safety standard and operating procedures.
- Identify and resolve safety issues within area of responsibility.
- Develop and produce mandatory and statutory reports – Geological reports, QAQC reports on assays and down-hole surveys.
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly reports to the Director Exploration.
- Review Mineral Resource Figures declared and MIV reporting for the year.
- Oversee and maintain activities within a budget.
- Track monthly expenditure, highlighting and managing variances.
- Prepare the operating budgets and schedules for pipeline projects and when approved ensure proper monitoring to
- keep expenditures within approved limits; ensure budgetary constraints are adhered to, thus minimising wastage with respects to over time, contractors’ invoices etc.
- Mentor and train Junior Geologists.
- Be responsible for the development, appraisal, training and mentoring of direct reports by making recommendations that will enhance and develop the expertise of staff of the department.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
BSc in Geology/Geological Engineering.
10 years’ experience in mineral exploration.
- Advanced abilities in mapping, sampling drill planning, drilling, and 3D geologic interpretation, 3D modelling and economic evaluation to arrive at decision points in appropriate time frames and with appropriate expenditures. Can apply these abilities and train others.
- High level problem solving capability requiring considerable creativity, technical judgment, tact and initiative.
- Ability to communicate advanced level exploration concepts using integration of geology, geochemist, metallurgy and geophysics often with applied economic criteria.
- An understanding of fundamentals relating to mining and metallurgy methods and costs.
- The ability to prioritize work within a project and organize work on multiple tasks within broader programs.
- Develop new ideas on procedures, targets and systems etc.
- Able to communicate information to others including other departments.
- Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet and database management.
- Results drive
- Attention to detail
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected]